Sunday, August 29, 2010

I thought starting Kindergarten was supposed to be an exciting time?

Ohemgee. What a NIGHTMARE. I am one frustrated mom. My little guy is having a heck of a time transitioning into Kindergarten and it's so stressful. Lets just say I feel like I have a better relationship with the principal than I do the teacher. I mean, is this Stanford or Kindergarten? Im becoming confused. I know Kindergarten is not what it used to be, and honestly, I find that very unfortunate. I went to Kindergarten when it was about play and nap time and I think I turned out just fine!

Not to mention, Jacob falls into the, "late Summer (almost Fall), boy" category and for some reason that automatically means to redshirt, meaning to do two years of preschool. Well, you know what? Im not going to that. But here's the problem. So many parents redshirt that when my child comes along who is starting when he is SUPPOSED TO, he is already behind the bell curve simply because he is younger. The maturity level of an almost 5 year old can not be and should not be compared to the maturity level of an almost 6 year old but unfortunately it is. I would think that given the amount of child development courses these teachers had in college that it's something that would be known and practiced but from what I have seen so far it seems to be ignored (yes, I was a Liberal Studies major and I know a thing or two about this stuff).

He can count to 30 and spell his name but can he sit in a structured environment and listen for 5 hours? Umm, show me a 4, almost 5 year old who can and I will spend money on your parenting philosophy! Hell, I cant even do that and Im, well, older than 5.

Im not going to make excuses for my child, does he need to listen? Of course he does and he better but at the same time I am going to stand up for him and be his advocate. It is my job as a parent to not only correct improper behavior but to be in his "corner" as well. Children need guidance, love and support.

Well, enough about that. Lets end with a traditional "First Day of Kindergarten" photo, shall we?

No comments: